1) Pour medicine into a sealable plastic bag.
2) If the medicine is a solid, add a small amount of water to dissolve it.
3) Add coffee grounds, kitty litter or something similar to the liquid
medicine in the plastic bag.
4) Seal the bag and immediately dispose of it in the trash.
5) Use a marker to black out any personal contact information on the
empty medicine container prior to disposing of it in the trash.
information for household generated sharps may also be found on
Do NOT flush medicine down the toilet unless accompanying product
information instructs otherwise. Don't keep unneeded medications in the home.
Medicine collection events staffed by law enforcement, if readily
available, are also good options for safely disposing of unwanted
A flyer with this information may be downloaded at
For more information or in case of an accidental poisoning, call
the poison center at 18002221222.